Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Class 1 "Be The Change"

To the best of my ability, this is a recap of our first "Moms Who Know" forum.

After introductions, I attempted to explain what in the world would possess me to start a support group for Christ-centered mothers?  (For that is the vision of this group, to support each other and find the tools to help make our current families better, and also to raise up the next generation to be the kinds of adults that they will need to be in order to thrive in a culture which Isaiah foresaw: where men "call evil good and good evil" (Isa 5:20)).

After all, I'm not an expert or a guru, and I don't have a PhD.  Our ward Relief Society already has a Strengthening Families Committee and they are doing wonderful things.  I am however, a mother of four kids with a variety of special needs and personalities...including ADHD and OCD/Anxiety...and I have read, studied, taken classes, prayed and been guided by the Spirit, learned from mentors, spent many hours in therapy of all sorts, nannied, received a college education and basically worked my butt off and spent a lot of money in the trenches for about 25 years trying to figure things out.

I still don't have things "figured out" per say, but I will say that out of all of the methods I've used, I've finally found something that actually, truly works.  Just to give you an idea of the books or courses I've already read or studied, at least those I can remember:

Therapist Recommended methods,
My Professors' Recommended methods including Freud, Piaget, Pavlov, Skinner
Listen so your Teen will Talk and Talk so your Teen will Listen
Parenting with Love and Logic
Love and Logic classes (multiple times)
Total Transformation Workshop (three times)
Richard and Linda Eyre's books including the Entitlement Trap
Happiest Toddler on the Block, by Harvey Karp
Dr. Laura
Tracy Hogg, Secrets of the Baby Whisperer
What to Expect Books
Marjorie Hinckley books
Marriage and Family classes with the LDS church (three times)


At some point, I finally wised up and turned myself over to the Holy Spirit's guidance wholly and fully to educate me on what to do.  What I am sharing in these classes, is what He has guided me to.  I would like to repeat that for the first time, I have finally found what works for my family, is 100% Christ-centered, and after years of tromping through the mud, I felt like I didn't want all of that "mud tromping" to go to waste. I wanted to build a bridge for other mothers to walk over the mud and get straight to effective parenting.

When I began homeschooling I had a strong absolute core knowledge that it was what Heavenly Father wanted me to do.  So quitting wasn't an option.  The schooling part was great, but the managing the household and children's behaviors was not going so great.  My breaking point was when two of my children were ASKED TO LEAVE THE LIBRARY AND NEVER COME BACK, because they got into a knock-down drag out fight....I mean, ripping clothing and running through the aisles of books, and wrestling on the floor fight.  Oh man, I've never felt so helpless and ashamed as I did that day.

It was with that frustration on my heart that I began seriously fasting and praying for help.  Was it a coincidence that my friend Becca showed up at my house that week with a book called The Child Whisperer by Carol Tuttle because she felt prompted to do it?  No way!  Understanding my children's energy types and personalities was the first step to making big changes. I just so happened to attend the Winter Homeschool Conference at Weber State, during which I took a class by Carol Tuttle and was able to meet her.

At this same conference, I attended a question and answer panel session with the children of Oliver and Rachel DeMille, founders of the Thomas Jefferson Education, which is the curriculum I have been guided to use for my family.  At the end of the session I was the last person they chose to ask a question and I said,

"We have been homeschooling for two months now.  We love it and love the curriculum but our biggest obstacle is GETTING ALONG.  Any advice?"

They told me to meet them afterwards and speak to them personally, which I did, and I got a lot of good advice, but the life changing part was just after the class ended.  A sweet mother came up to me and told me that she thought I was so brave for asking that question.  She told me to write down:  The  Principles of Self-Government by Nicholeen Peck and that it had changed her life.  Two other moms came up and confirmed, they said to just work on our family for homeschool for a few months and stay the course.  I felt my insides light on fire from my head to my toes, confirming that this was something I needed to do, and do it NOW.  So I immediately went home and began tutorials, bought the book and began studying, tackling one thing at a time.  It's been a miracle.  Hard work, but it's paying off.

I feel compelled to share, not because I think I have all of the answers or because I think I'm great or smart... but because I'm being prompted to do it.  I'm actually not very smart at all, and completely average in almost every way, but I'm learning that when I allow the Creator of the Universe and the Savior of mankind to mentor me...big changes and big miracles can and will take place!  How can I not share this information with other mothers seeking the same thing?

Why do I love the principle of Self-Government as a parenting lifestyle?  Although the things I have studied all have good things and I am a better mother because of them, some elements of the other methods seem to be a "bandaid" approach to behavior.  So many times I react to my children's mistakes and punish or scold, or put them in time-out to correct the behavior.  But really that is just putting a temporary bandaid on the problem.  Teaching self-government changes hearts, changes each and every family member from the inside out, so that they have the skills to govern themselves, and mistakes are reduced.  I also compare it in my mind to the "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day" principle versus "TEACH a man to fish and he can eat for a lifetime."  The Self-Government method seemed to take the best of everything I have learned and connected it all together in one place.  Particularly the following principles:

Christianity is all about agency and self-reliance, so the concepts of self-government resonate with me because they are about honoring our children's agency and parenting in a way that our children learn behavioral self-reliance.  I started noticing more connections between what this book teaches and things I have read within my personal gospel studies throughout the years.  In order to really turn myself over to this new way of parenting, I had to know for SURE that it was compatible with my Christian and LDS beliefs.

Being the nerd that I am, I made a chart, listing the attributes of our Heavenly Parents that we are given through the scriptures and prophets.




What are our Heavenly Parents’ attributes?


Scriptural Reference
Unchanging.
Do not parent according to their moods
Consistent

2 Nephi 2:4 God is the “same today, yesterday and forever.” Scriptures are full of this description
2Nephi 27:23
Mormon 9:9
(no variableness or shadow of changing)  This leads us to trust Him, feel safe in His care because we know what to expect.
D&C 20:12
Alma 31:17
D&C 35:1

Trustworthy
“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.” Proverbs 3:5
2Nephi 28:31

Love is not conditional on behavior
“He Truly Loves Us” by Paul Koelliker April 2012

Parents differently based on the needs of each child.
Children of Israel vs. post Christ dispensations

Orderly
Prepare every needful thing, a house of order, a house of God

Commands respect

Cannot enter into heaven unless clean

Just and Merciful – He follows through with his laws but also applies mercy to his parenting
Justice – The unfailing consequence of blessings for righteous thoughts and acts, and punishment for unrepented sin. Justice is an eternal law that requires a penalty each time a law of God is broken
Or god would cease to be God
Alma 42:13-24

Mercy – 22 references to mercy in the scriptures
Mercy cannot rob justice
Ex 34:6- The Lord is merciful and gracious
Deut 4:31
Luke 6:36

I, the Lord, forgive sins, and am merciful unto those who confess their sins with humble hearts:D&C 61:2;
(if the child confesses, then we can reduce the sentence)
Teacher and Mentor
“Neither trust in the arm of flesh”

He has high standards for us because he loves us


“Seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.” D&C 88:118

Intelligent- along with this goes
Knowledge*
“The glory of God is intelligence.”  D7C 93:36
D&C 88:118  Learning should be a lifetime pursuit
Spiritual training goes first

Godly attributes: 

faith,
virtue,



knowledge*,
















temperance,







patience,
















Kind








charity,
humility
diligence

Hope









Heavenly Father respects our agency.  He does not engage in power struggles with his children. 













He knows it is important for us to work and struggle














He knows we need rules and consequences








He knows we need to be rewarded for good behavior so we stay motivated and know He is pleased.  Every law has a blessing attached.













Heavenly Father has low tolerances for sin


Heavenly Father gives lots of praise and tells us what our rewards will be for following directions.










He has us agree upon and vote on the rules as a family
D&C 4:6

“Pure thoughts and clean actions”  Do not lust in your heart.  Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly.


“I add my voice to these wise and inspired brethren and say to you that one of the most important things you can do as priesthood leaders is to immerse yourselves in the scriptures. Search them diligently. Feast upon the words of Christ. Learn the doctrine. Master the principles that are found therein. … Few other efforts … will bring greater dividends to your calling. … Few other ways [will result in] greater inspiration.
“You must … see that studying and searching the scriptures is not a burden laid upon [us] by the Lord, but a marvelous blessing and opportunity”





“Restrained in your emotions and verbal expressions.  Do things in moderation and is not given to overindulgence.  Self control!  Master of emotions, not the other way around.
“Can ye be angry, and not sin?” asked the Apostle Paul (JST, Eph. 4:26).


Another form of self control.  The ability to postpone gratification and to bridle one’s passions.  In his relationships with loved ones, a patient man does not engage in impetuous behavior that he will later regret. Patience is composure under stress. A patient man is understanding of others’ faults.
A patient man also waits on the Lord. We sometimes read or hear of people who seek a blessing from the Lord, then grow impatient when it does not come swiftly. Part of the divine nature is to trust in the Lord enough to “be still and know that [he is] God” (D&C 101:16).

Continue in Patience – Dieter F. Uchtdorf






Mothers are kind.  One who is kind is sympathetic and gentle with others. He is considerate of others’ feelings and courteous in his behavior. He has a helpful nature. Kindness pardons others’ weaknesses and faults. Kindness is extended to all—to the aged and the young, to animals, to those low of station as well as the high.


The Pure love of Christ



Survivor’s rule of 3  “Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air...but only for one second without hope.” ― Hal Lindsey.






2 Nephi: 16 Wherefore, the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself. Wherefore, man could not act for himself save it should be that he was enticed by the one or the other.
And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of the law at the great and last day, according to the commandments which God hath given.
 27 Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.


2Nephi 2: 11 For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my firstborn in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.
 12 Wherefore, it must needs have been created for a thing of naught; wherefore there would have been no purpose in the end of its creation. Wherefore, this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and his eternal purposes, and also the power, and the mercy, and the justice of God.

 13 And if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act nor to be acted upon; wherefore, all things must have vanished away.

“There is a law, irrevocably decreed,” the Lord said, “. . . upon which all blessings are predicated—And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated” (D&C 130:20–21)
David A. Bednar – “That We May Always Have His Spirit To Be with Us.”  April 2006
The fundamental conditions of the covenant into which we entered in the waters of baptism are these: we witnessed that we were willing to take upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ, that we would always remember Him, and that we would keep His commandments. The promised blessing for honoring this covenant is that we may always have His Spirit to be with us (see D&C 20:77).


D&C 1:31  “For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance.” 

Matthew 25:23  Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. “
D&C 25 to Emma Smith:  “if thou art faithful and walk in the paths of virtue before me, I will preserve thy life, and thou shalt receive an inheritance in Zion.
 3 Behold, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou art an elect lady, whom I have called."



Job 38: 4-7  “The morning stars shouted for joy”
Abraham saw the intelligences that were organized before the world was

Abr 3:21-24









The following are my notes from the first forum, 
Class 1:  "Be the Change."  Quotes are taken from the book 
"Parenting a House United.  The Principles of Self-Government by Nicholeen Peck"
(I have hard copies, if you would like a packet feel free to PM me)

Self –Government

Self -Government is being able to determine the cause and effect of any given situation, and possessing the knowledge of your own behaviors so that you can control them.

       Take a moment to write down a list of what qualities you hope their children will have as adults.  Do you hope they are educated, healthy, moral, self disciplined, kind, do service, work hard, leaders? 

 Just as our Father is the ultimate example, we must master ourselves and lead by example or it just won’t work.

Gandhi and the Boy who ate too much sugar:
During the 1930's, a young boy had become obsessed with eating a lot of sugar. His mother was very upset with this. But no matter how much she scolded him and tried to break his habit, he continued to satisfy his sweet tooth. Being totally frustrated, she decided to take her son to see Mahatma Gandhi who was the boy's idol.

She had to walk many miles across the country, for hours under scorching sun to finally reach Gandhi's ashram. There, she recounted her difficult journey and shared with Gandhi her unpleasant situation:

"Bapu (Father), my son eats too much sugar. It is not good for his health. Would you
please advise him to stop eating it? "

Gandhi listened to the woman carefully, thought for a while and replied:
“Please come back after two weeks. I will talk to your son.”

The women looked confused. Then she took the boy by the hand and went home. She made the long journey home and in two weeks time made it once again as Gandhi requested. When they arrived, Gandhi looked directly at the boy and said:

"Boy, you should stop eating sugar. It is not good for your health."

The boy nodded and promised he would not continue this habit any longer. The
boy's mother was puzzled. She turned to Gandhi and asked,

"Bapu (Father), Why didn't you tell him that two weeks ago when I brought him here to see you?"

Gandhi smiled and whispered in her ears.

"Mother, that time I was not qualified to advise the little one

Because I too, was same like him, eating a lot of sugar myself two weeks ago.


"You Must First Be The Change You Want To See In This World" - Mahatma Gandhi.

If you want your husband to be your sweetheart, be his sweetheart.

If you want your children to be well behaved, be well behaved. 


A.      FIRST STEP: 
If we want to be the ultimate example, we must first correctly understand who our Heavenly Father is, what His attributes are, and how He parents. 

“Therefore, what manner of men (Insert PARENT here) ought ye to be?  Verily I say unto you, even as I am.” 3Nephi 27:27

To be like the Savior –“What a challenge for any person!  He was perfect in every aspect of His life.  There was no flaw nor failing in Him.  Is it possible for us as mothers to be even as He is?  The answer is yes.  Not only Can we but that is our charge, our responsibility.  He would not give us that commandment if He did not mean for us to do it. 

Does He expect us to do it all at once?  No!  By small and simple things are great things brought to pass.  We perfect ourselves by degrees.  Parenting is the perfect opportunity.”

(I’m still working on remembering who said this and where I found this quote)

A.      SECOND STEP.

We must first work on how to stay calm, and practice what we preach.  If we don’t want our kids to swear, we can’t swear.  If we don't want yelling in our home, we cannot raise our voice.  This is the second step of the process.

STAYING CALM - “Most parenting interactions I see when I am around people are power struggles, not teaching moments.  If home is the safest place to make mistakes, then parenting can’t be about having power battles.  If the parent really feels out of control, then the parent needs to find control in the only way a good leader finds control- with calmness.

“The rule I live by is that the person who stays the calmest has the power to control the situation.  So, if you must feel power, effectively find it by being the calmest and most structured person in the room.  Just so you know, it is much harder to control your emotions and be calm than to give in to your emotions and engage in a power struggle. 

Most power struggles are actually started by parents. 

Once we learn this, it is easy to stop power struggles.  We only have to control ourselves. 

Here is the advice Nicholeen Peck gives on this in her Self Government book:

1.  Train yourself to use less emotion and more explanation.  Describe what is going on as if you are an outsider observing.

      2.  Teach yourself to use key words. i.e.: “Just now when you . . .”

      3.  Practice with your spouse or another party all of the steps to each style of teaching often until you feel comfortable using the new language.

-      4.   When she begins to feel the anxious, tight feeling in the pit of her stomach she takes three calming breaths and counts to four.

-      5.   No one said that you have to correct bad behavior the moment it is happening.  Walk away and refuse to engage unless you are calm.  It is way more effective to correct behavior later when you are calm, than when you are emotional in the moment.

-       6.  If Nicholeen is struggling big time with her emotions, she will remove herself to her room, lock the door, kneel down and pray until she feels the Spirit again. 

-      7.   Youtube video:  Secrets to being calm  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPmkHxZdEew.  She also has a cd on her website called The Power of Staying Calm and teaches how to stay calm.  It’s $14…..maybe we can all go in together?


**Class Action Item for the day:  Work on staying calm calm calm.  What tools worked for you?  Success stories?  How can we support each other in staying calm?

How Do You Get Your Way?
In May 2009 I allowed the BBC Britain to bring two troubled British teens to my home to make a show called “The World’s Strictest Parents.”  They brought me two seventeen year olds named Hannah and James.  For two days Hannah and James had tantrums and tried every way they could think of to initiate power struggles and force us to become aggressive.  This is generally called, “button pushing.”  What they didn’t know was that I got rid of all my buttons long ago. 
            On day three the teens were all of the sudden completely different.  They were obedient and generally wanted to communicate effectively.  I was really impressed with their new personalities.  I said to Hannah, “Hannah, why did you suddenly stop yelling and getting angry?” 
            She said, “Well, at my house if I yell I get my way or someone at least yells back.  But, here you always stay so calm that it doesn’t do any good.  So, I just figured I might as well try staying calm too.”  Because Hannah saw that her aggression wouldn’t work, she was able to completely change the way she communicated.  So what did Hannah give up her aggression for?  We taught her assertiveness, which was a new way to get her way.  (To see the BBC show go to http://teachingselfgovernment.com/videos/ )

Communication 101
            When most people think of communication, they think of words.  While words are a vital way to communicate, there are many ways communication happens.  Body language actually communicates even more than words do.  A person’s body, eyes, and over all feeling expressed speaks much more about what the person thinks and feels than words ever will. 
            We all know this.  We form our opinions and moods from these intuitive clues all the time.  So, why don’t we think more carefully about how we move, and express ourselves then?  We get fooled into thinking that we see other people’s moods and feelings more vividly than they see ours.  People see everything you do, and hear more in your words than what you say.  They hear your tone, and the feeling carried by the tone is what speaks to their hearts. 
            So, what about those people who choose to say nothing?  Are they impossible to read?  No way!  They are easier to read in many ways.  They think they are controlling themselves by shutting down all communication, but what they don’t know is that people can’t ever stop communicating.  Choosing to be absent or silent is also a communication of how you feel about other people and your disapproval of an issue, or distance from the other person.  These communications are obvious and cannot be hidden by the best actor or actress. 

How Do You Try to Get YOUR WAY?
            There are four ways people generally try to get their way; by being passive, aggressive, passive/aggressive, or assertive.  If you don’t know which way you generally try to gain control of situations and other people’s emotions, then take this little test. 
            Let’s say you are in a check-out line at a grocery store and someone cuts in front of you in line.  What do you do? 
Do you grab the person and shove them aside?  Do you very loudly say,”Hey, I was here first.  The back of the line is over there.”  If you find yourself acting like this in similar situations, then you are aggressive and try to gain control of your environment by force.

Maybe you are more inclined to say nothing and focus on thoughts like, “People are so rude now days.  No one even looks to see if I am here.  Oh well, its better not to say anything because I never know what they might do if I spoke up.  It’s better to keep the peace.”  If you think things like this and often do nothing then you are passive to gain control of your surroundings and keep the peace.
Perhaps you are the kind of person who responds by saying nothing to the person who cut in front of you, but might make a rude remark about the person who cut in line to the person behind you or to your impatient child.  You might “accidentally” get too close to the person in front of you with your cart and make it difficult for them to move, or just glare at the back of their head and think hateful things about the person for a good while after the person leaves the store.  During all of this you will feel proud of yourself for not showing emotional weakness by yelling at the person.  If you take all the control inside yourself and argue with body language and feelings instead of with forceful actions and words then you are a passive/aggressive arguer.

These three manipulative responses are the most common ways to react to the situation described above, but they are not the only way to handle the situation.  You could choose to assume the person in front of you is unaware of the line and kindly suggest a correction of the problem.  It would look like this.  You tap the line-cutter on the shoulder in a kind way and say, “Excuse me.”  After the person turns around and can see eye to eye you disagree in an appropriate way.  In my home we call this skill disagreeing appropriately.  It is a fundamental skill to creating a successful, happy adult. 
The disagreement would go something like this, “Sir, I know you probably didn’t notice before, but this is not the back of the line.  The back of the line is actually over there.  Would you mind moving to the back of the line instead of right here?  Thank you.”  Speaking calmly, with respect and assuming the best of the person who you are communicating with is called being assertive.  Assertiveness is the desired way to get what you want or what is right, and it works.

Sure, you could be assertive and the other person could come back at you with aggression, but this is usually very rare.  Remember, that the feeling of your body, voice tone, and soul will be felt by the other person.  So, if you choose to really love the offender and see his side for a minute, and communicate those feelings to him while setting the situation right at the same time, then he will have a hard time returning aggression for those kind feelings and actions. 
However, if a person chooses to be aggressive to you when you are assertive then the best thing to do is to say, “Oh” and pity the person for obviously having such a bad day or being out of control at the minute.  It’s okay to see another person fail at communicating.  Love them anyway.  (I like using “Oh.”  It is the perfect statement.  It says “I hear you” but doesn’t say “I agree.”)

Aggressive People
            Aggressive people choose to rage because it feels powerful for a minute and releases tension.  They choose aggression to get what they want because they know other people don’t know how to handle their emotions.  Aggressive people tend to believe that there are two kinds of people; the kind that use aggression and get what they want and the kind that back down and never get what they want. 
            My British child-for-a-week, Hannah proved this when she said, “Well, at my house if I yell I get my way or someone at least yells back…”   
            Have you noticed that the majority of adults are not aggressive in public?  The reason this is the case is because it is generally agreed that aggression is something that happens with frustrated children; not adults.  Children have to be taught to overcome aggression.  However, in private, many adults prove they never really learned to handle their aggressive tendencies.  They don’t know they can get their way and have good relationships by being assertive instead of aggressive. 

Passive People
            Passive people think aggressive people are scary, and choose not to battle things out with them for self preservation.  They don’t know about being assertive and think that their only options are either to be aggressive, which looks out of control, or to be passive, or passive/aggressive which seems like control.  Truly passive people see themselves as weak and everyone else as strong.  They take abuse from other people because they just don’t know how to handle it.  Passive people feel walked on and frustrated because no one really understands them or cares about their wishes and feelings. 
            Sometimes passive people attempt to communicate but get shut down easily and choose to become reconciled to their situation because they don’t feel heard.  Seeking attention by expressing their weaknesses, or having “pity parties,” is common with passive people.
            You may wonder how a passive person could feel like they are gaining control over their environment by being passive and backing down.  The passive person controls the environment by keeping the peace and being able to stop an argument.  They know that if they back down to the other person’s wishes then they can control most of the responses of the other person and have less tension.  Again, truly passive people are rare because a truly passive person has to choose passiveness for the sake of peace and then not desire any change that would put the peace in jeopardy. 

Passive/Aggressive People
            The reason truly passive people are rare is because most passive people would fall into the category of passive/aggressive.  Instead of backing down from confrontation for the sake of peace the passive/aggressive person backs down for force.  They see that the person who says less is not as vulnerable as the person who says more.  They completely buy into Benjamin Franklin’s quote, “It is better to not say anything and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.” 
            Saying nothing feels powerful to passive/aggressive people.  They use their silence to make their argument.  They only want communication if the other person will see their way.  If the passive/aggressive person doesn’t think his idea will be adopted as the best then he will not offer it up.  Passive/aggressive parents might leave a child who isn’t ready to go on time.  The passive/aggressive spouse is the kind who sits in the car on Sunday mornings with a scowl on her face feeling superior to all those not ready on time for church.  Her actions communicate, “I’m ready; it’s obviously all your fault we are late.”  Her body and feelings do all the arguing.    
            Passive/aggressive people put up emotional walls.  They close themselves off from other people and choose not to do any verbal communication assuming they are choosing no communication.  What they don’t know is that they are communicating. 
Their body movements and argumentative feeling of their soul are easily felt.  They feel distant because they have made themselves thus.  Their silence tells everyone on the other side of the wall this, “I don’t agree with you.  I feel like not talking but know that if I talk to you I will feel better.  I want to be understood.  I want you to see things the way I see them.  I feel so alone.  You just don’t get it.  Because you don’t value my opinions I feel like our relationship is ruined right now.  Do you really care what I think and feel?  My opinions are important…” 
            This really is what they are trying to say, whether they have thought about it or not.  As a parent or spouse it is helpful to know that the person is shutting you out to get your attention and encourage relationship building.  It is tempting to be passive/aggressive too and let the wall become stronger and taller, but that will not take care of what the passive/aggressive person is really asking for; attention, understanding and an insight into how to communicate with you. 
            Passive/aggressive people can seem difficult to connect with, but they are screaming in a silent way for connection and acceptance.  An assertive spouse, friend, or parent can change these hearts.

Assertive People
            Assertiveness is the only problem solving method which isn’t manipulative!  It doesn’t need to be because assertive people have the power of self-government.  Their reaction is about them controlling themselves not them controlling others.  They know how to keep their emotions controlled, while still problem solving situations.  They are calm, friendly, loving and understanding while at the same time firm and principled.   
Assertive problem solvers recognize that they have the power to communicate either with love or contempt and choose love.  They really seek to understand what the other person might have been thinking or feeling.  Next, they lovingly describe the situation, and suggest a remedy or give an instruction.  Then they trust that the person is good and wants to choose the right choice, even if the choice doesn’t always turn out as planned.  An assertive person isn’t afraid to talk about situations and feelings.  They believe that open honest discussion is the key to solving a problem.  In fact, assertive people usually instigate healthy, humble discussion. 
            Assertive people are not afraid of aggressive people because they are secure.  Assertive people do not rage because they trust their communication skills.  Assertive people do not build up emotional walls because they know that relationships are the most important part of communication.  Are you assertive?  I haven’t always been. 

The Assertive Home
I gave my parents most of their gray hairs with my aggression and passive/aggression in my younger years and have had many family arguments over the years which were all about building up walls.  But, 11 years ago I learned there was another way to get what I wanted; to be assertive. 
Once I realized this skill was desirable above all other problem solving skills I knew I had to improve upon it and teach it to my children so they wouldn’t be the kind of children I was and so they could be “joyful, happy adults, who know what their mission in life is and can’t wait to fight for it, and have solid relationships with God and family.”  (Parenting A House United by: Nicholeen Peck)  This is my goal, and teaching assertive problem solving is my way.  I call it teaching self-government, and it has changed my life.
Talk about these four attitudes toward solving relationship problems and disagreements as a family.  If each person is aware of the four different ways to see situations they are more likely to choose the assertive way.  Then the whole family can communicate more lovingly and effectively.
More on principles of Teaching Self-Government and effective parenting can be found on Nicholeen’s blog, http://teachingselfgovernment.com

 THIRD STEP

As we work on ourselves, we invite the Holy Spirit into our lives.  He is the ultimate mentor and can help us.  He has learned how to perfect His attributes, so He can through the Holy Spirit teach us how to do it.  Perhaps we can take these attributes home, study them, ask the Spirit to let us know which one He would like us to focus on first, and ask for help to improve in that area.  It is amazing.  This weakness will become a strength!  As we get our lives in order, and sweep out all of the corners, get rid of all of our vices, strive to keep all of the commandments, we invite the Spirit in abundance and then we are in a position to receive direction daily from on High. 



Other References:

·       Teaching Children to Govern Themselves June 1986  L. Tom Perry

   Doctrine and Covenants 109:8 Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing, and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;
       Godly characteristics of the Master, Ezra Taft Benson
   Book of Mormon Alma 42



Our next forum will be in three weeks on Monday, April 4th at 2pm.  My friend Becca Goble will be teaching us about the 4 Energy Types and I will delve into Personality Types and how to apply that to parenting.  Don't worry if you can't make it, I will post everything on the blog.  



No comments:

Post a Comment